15 Surprising Facts About China You Probably Didn’t Know
Though we live in high technology era and any kind of information is right in front of us at the distance of one click, many of us still can’t tell one culture from another. Here are some completely surprising facts about China. We really had no idea about most of them. And, probably, neither did you.
1. They’re using geese as the new “guard dogs”.
Geese indeed have an excellent hearing and are quite intelligent.
Some police in rural China are using geese instead of dogs to stand guard at night.
2. There are 13 million abortions performed each year in China. Speaking about the amount of abortions per day – it’s 53,000.
As China has a one-child policy, tens of thousands of girl babies are abandoned and more than a million aborted each year in favor of potentially raising a boy.
3. Air pollution in Beijing is like smoking a pack a day
4. Toilet paper was invented in China, and was only for emperors
5. Fortune cookies are NOT a traditional Chinese custom
Fortune cookies were actually invented by a worker of the Key Heong Noodle Factory in… San Francisco.
6. Eggs cooked in a virgin boy’s pee is a delicacy
There is a strong belief that eggs boiled in pee of a virgin boy (preferably, under 10 years old) have amazing health properties.
7. Pins are strategically placed to keep officer’s standing at attention
8. They have a cellphone lane for pedestrians…
…although,it’s only in a theme park. The marked out part is for cellphone users only, and there is even a sign to explain.